[talks] D Nehab preFPO

Melissa M Lawson mml at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Nov 27 13:27:11 EST 2006

Diego Nehab will present his preFPO on Thursday November 30 at 4PM in Room 401
(note room!).  The members of his committee are:  Szymon Rusinkiewicz, advisor,
James Davis (UC Santa Cruz), Tom Funkhouser, Adam Finkelstein, and Kai Li.
Everyone is invited to attend his talk.  His abstract appears below.
---------------------------

In this talk, we present a variety of results that push the state of the art in 3D
scanning techniques towards new simplicity,  generality, and precision levels.

We start with the introduction of the temporal stereo triangulation scanner, which is
composed of two cameras and a projector. The system is substantially simpler than previous
designs, because the projector does not need to be calibrated or even synchronized with
the stereo camera pair.

In order to improve the quality of our scanner, we introduce a novel algorithm that
performs symmetric sub pixel refinement of integer matches.  By simultaneously updating
the matching coordinates on each camera, the method avoids biases that would otherwise
appear as coherent noise in the final reconstructions.

We then investigate the combination of data coming from a variety of different scanner
types. We notice that the noise properties of acquired normal fields are generally
unrelated to those commonly present in triangulated data. By carefully combining the best
portion of each measurement type, we are able to achieve substantially higher quality
results.

Both normal acquisition and stereo triangulation are usually designed under the assumption
of diffuse, opaque materials.
We therefore conclude the talk with an investigation of alternative techniques for
acquiring shape and orientation from translucent and/or highly specular materials.