[talks] talk at 11am on routing-protocol convergence by Pierre Francois

Jennifer Rexford jrex at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri Dec 14 10:54:19 EST 2007

TALK ANNOUNCEMENT:

Title: BGP convergence in much less than a second
Speaker: Pierre Francois, Universite Catholique de Louvain
Date: 11:00am on Friday December 14
Location: CS room 402

Abstract
--------

This talk will about recent improvements to the Border Gateway Protocol,
the routing protocol used by Internet Service Providers to exchange
routing information to provide Internet-wide connectivity. It will show
how a fast recovery of connectivity can now be achieved in the case of a
link or node failure within an ISP network.

We will emphasize that most business cases allow a local BGP recovery
(convergence) in case of failure,  i.e. a convergence where inter-domain
path exploration is actually not required to recover the connectivity
after a failure.

We will show that although convergence could be local, iBGP deployements
do not favor  the propagation of alternate paths within an ISP network,
which artificially lead to transient lack of connectivity, disclosed to
neighboring peers.

We will then turn to router implementation issues that could not allow a
fast convergence of BGP due to the scaling factors of BGP

Reaching sub-second convergence of BGP will however be shown possible by
first allowing a better propagation of alternate paths within ISP
networks, and second enable the recent improvements to BGP router
implementations and to Forwarding Information Bases designs.