[talks] Y Zhu general exam
Melissa M Lawson
mml at CS.Princeton.EDU
Thu May 10 16:43:41 EDT 2007
Yaping Zhu will present her research seminar/general exam on Wednesday May
16 at 10AM in Room 402. The members of her committee are Jennifer
Rexford (advisor), Larry Peterson, and Vivek Pai. Everyone is invited to attend
her talk, and those faculty members wishing to remain for the oral exam
following are welcome to do so. Her abstract and reading list follow below.
Conventional wisdom has held that routing protocols can not achieve both scalability and
high availability. Despite scaling rather well, today's Internet routing system does not
react quickly to changing network conditions. Overlay networks, on the other hand, can
respond quickly to changing network conditions, but their reliance on aggressive probing
does not scale to large topologies. This project presents a resilient layered routing
architecture called UFO (Underlay Friendly to Overlays), which achieves the best of both
worlds by providing router support for overlay routing mechanisms. UFO comprises two
changes to existing routers: (i) data-plane support for deflection packets at the behest
of the overlay and (ii) explicit notification about significant changes in network
conditions. We present these two mechanisms, and demonstrate how they facilitate the
scalable deployment of overlay routing mechanisms at the network layer. Prototype is
implemented based on PL-VINI platform, with preliminary evaluation results.
1. L.Peterson and B.Davie, "Computer Networks: A Systems Approach", 3rd Edition.
2. D.Clark, "Design Philosophy of the DARPA Internet Protocols", in Proc. ACM SIGCOMM, Aug
3. J.Saltzer, D.Reed and D.Clark, "End-to-End Arguments in System Design", ACM
Transactions on Computer Systems, Nov 1984.
4. A.Bavier, N.Feamster, M.Huang, L.Peterson, and J.Rexford, "In VINI Veritas: Realistic
and Controlled Network Experimentation", in Proc. ACM SIGCOMM, Sep 2006.
5. D.Andersen, H.Balakrishnan, M.Kaashoek, and R.Morris, "Resilient Overlay Networks", in
Proc. ACM SOSP, Oct 2001.
6. N.Feamster, D.Andersen, H.Balakrishnan, and F.Kaashoek, "Measuring the Effects of
Internet Path Faults on Reactive Routing", in Proc. ACM SIGMETRECS, Jun 2003.
7. A.Nakao, L.Peterson, and A.Bavier, "A Routing Underlay for Overlay Networks", in Proc.
ACM SIGCOMM, Aug 2003.
8. J.Jannotti, "Network Layer Support for Overlay Networks", in Proc. IEEE OPENARCH, 2002
9. T.Griffin, F.Shepherd, and G.Wilfong, "The Stable Paths Problem and Interdomain
Routing", IEEE Transactions on Networking. Volume10, Issue2 p232-243.
10. R.Morris, E.Kohler, J.Jannotti, and M.Kaashoek, "The Click Modular Router", in Proc.
ACM SOSP, Dec 1999.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the talks