[talks] KATIE POLLARD talk TODAY in Genomics at 4:15

Mona Singh mona at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Sep 24 12:57:27 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

Katie Pollard from UC Davis Biostatistics  will be speaking in Genomics
today about what makes us different from chimps ...

See below,
Mona

TITLE:  Accelerated and biased nucleotide evolution in the human lineage.

SPEAKER: Katherine Pollard, UC Davis, Dept of Statistics/Genome Center

TIME: 4:15

LOCATION: Carl Ichan Lab 101

ABSTRACT:

Comparative genomics allows us to search the whole human genome for
examples of lineage-specific evolution. Using a novel likelihood  ratio
testing approach, we recently identified 202 Human Accelerated  Regions

(HARs) that were extensively changed in the last ~6 million  years since
divergence from our common ancestor with chimpanzee, but  are highly
conserved in other species and thus are likely to be  functional. The
HARs are mostly non-coding sequences, and the set of  genes near HARs is
enriched for transcription factors, suggesting a  role for HARs in the
evolution of human gene regulation. We will  describe a few of the most
intriguing HARs before turning to a  curious observation about the HAR
sequences: the most accelerated  regions show a striking bias for AT to
GC ("weak-to-strong")  nucleotide substitutions. To investigate whether
this association  between rate of substitutions and nucleotide bias is a
genome-wide  phenomenon, we quantified substitution density and bias
across the  human and chimp genomes. While there is no weak-to-strong
bias  overall, clusters of nearby substitutions (5 or more within 300bp)
are highly biased. Interestingly, human polymorphisms do not show the
same pattern, suggesting a fixation (rather than mutation) bias. We
found a strong correlation between nucleotide bias and male
recombination rates. This observation will be used to speculate about
the cause of rapid, biased evolution in the primate genome and to  date
the chromosome fusion that formed human chr2.