[talks] B Brown preFPO - reannounce with room

Melissa M Lawson mml at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri Sep 28 15:34:21 EDT 2007

Benedict Brown will present his preFPO on Monday October 1 at 2PM.
His talk will be in Friend 305, which is located inside the Engineering Library.  The
members of his committee are: Szymon Rusinkiewicz, advisor; David Dobkin and Tom
Funkhouser, readers; Adam Finkelstein and Ken Steiglitz, nonreaders.  Everyone is invited
to attend his talk.  His abstract follows below.

---------------------------------
Title: Registration and Matching of Large Geometric Datasets for Cultural Heritage
Applications

Over the last decade, there has been growing interest in acquiring high resolution digital
representations of cultural heritage.  This includes not only high resolution photographs,
but also detailed 3-D models of statues, buildings, paintings, archeological objects, etc.
These applications raise a number of challenges in data management, and in designing
affordable acquisition systems which are practical, efficient, and usable.

This thesis looks at how to handle alignment applications in this framework.  We show how
to align range scans in the presence of calibration error, as is the case in large,
high-resolution models such as the Digital Michelangelo models.  At the other extreme, we
show how to align small fresco pieces from the Thera project completely automatically; in
this case each individual model is small, but because there are tens of thousands of
fragments, efficiency and automation are paramount.  We also show how registration
techniques extend to the problem of matching these fragments to each other.
Finally, we look at the problem of aligning high-quality 2-D images of these fragments to
the 3-D models.