[talks] Colloquium: Vladlen Koltun on Wednesday, Dec 3, 4:00-5:00pm

Michael J. Freedman mfreed at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Dec 1 12:40:14 EST 2008

Hi,

This Wednesday at 4:00pm, Vladlen Koltun from Stanford University will
be giving the department colloquium.  The talk is located in the small
auditorium (CS Room 105).  I looking forward to seeing you there.

Thanks,
--mike

Abstract
--------

I will argue that the primary contribution of computer graphics in the
next decade will be to enable richer social interaction at a distance.
The integration of real-time computer graphics and large-scale
distributed systems will give rise to a rich telecommunication medium,
currently referred to as virtual worlds. The medium provides open-ended
face-to-face communication among ad-hoc groups of people in custom
environments and decouples shared spatial experiences from geographic
constraints.

I will outline a research agenda for enabling and advancing the medium.
The three driving themes are system architectures, content creation, and
interaction. System architectures aim to support the medium at planetary
scale. Content creation aims to enable untrained participants to create
high-quality three-dimensional content. Interaction aims to make virtual
world communication seamless and natural. I will demonstrate preliminary
results in each area.

Bio: Vladlen Koltun is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at
Stanford University. He directs the Virtual Worlds Group, which explores
how scalable virtual world systems can be built, populated, and used.
His prior work in computational geometry and theoretical computer
science was recognized with the NSF CAREER Award, the Alfred P. Sloan
Fellowship, and the Machtey Award.