[talks] 11am Wed Mar 5 talks on overlays and P2P in room CS 401

Jennifer Rexford jrex at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Mar 4 19:46:49 EST 2008

Speaker: Taekyoung Kwon, Seoul National University
Time: 11:00am - 12:15pm, Mar/5, Wednesday
Room: CS 401

Talk #1: A Decentralized and Autonomous Content-centric Overlay
Networking (DACON) Architecture for Pervasive Services

(1) More and more wireless technologies are emerging for Internet access.
However, end users who want pervasive connectivity cannot afford to
subscribe to all the wireless Internet services. To provide content access
services for the users without additional Internet access cost, we pay
attention
to user-deployable devices such as IEEE 802.11 access points and cellular
home base stations. Exploiting these devices, we propose a decentralized
autonomous content-centric overlay networking (DACON) architecture for
pervasive content access. To encourage individuals to participate in DACON,
we discuss how to incorporate financial incentive issues, so that those who
deploy DACON hosts can profit by content distribution.

Talk #2: Climber: An Incentive-based Resilient Peer-to-Peer
System for Live Streaming Services
(2) P2P systems are cost-effective and can be easily deployed only by
leveraging the participating peers' resources (i.e., upload link
bandwidth) to
distribute contents. In this paper, we propose Climber, an incentive-based
resilient P2P system, for live streaming services. Climber encourages each
peer to provide more upload link bandwidth to the system, and embodies
an incentive mechanism that improves resilience under high churning rate.
The structure of Climber is a hybrid of a tree and a mesh,which
self-improves
and adapts to network churning rate. Simulation results are given to
evaluate
the performance of the proposed protocol.

Short bio

Taekyoung Kwon is an assistant professor at the School of Computer Science
and Engineering, Seoul National University (SNU) since 2004. Before joining
SNU, he was a Postdoctoral Research Associate at University of California,
Los Angeles (UCLA), and at City University New York (CUNY).
He obtained BS, MS and PhD degrees from the Department of Computer
Engineering, SNU, South Korea, in 1993, 1995 and 2000, respectively.
During his graduate program, he was a visiting student at IBM T.J. Watson
Research Center and at University of North Texas. His research interest
lies
in wireless networks, mobile networks, P2P networking, and ubiquitous
computing.