[talks] Where’s Waldo? Practical Searches for Stability in iBGP

Yi Wang yiwang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Thu Nov 6 12:12:16 EST 2008

Hi all,

Next Monday (November 10), Ashley Flavel from University of Adelaide
will be giving a talk on modeling IGP/iBGP interaction. Both systems
and theory people may find this talk interesting.

Thanks,
Yi
Time: 11:30-12:30, Monday November 10

Room: CS 301

Title: Where’s Waldo? Practical Searches for Stability in iBGP

Abstract:
What does a child’s search of a large, complex cartoon for the
eponymous character (Waldo) have to do with Internet routing? Network
operators also search complex datasets, but Waldo is the least of
their worries. Routing oscillation is of much greater concern.  One
cause of such oscillations is the interaction between the routing
protocols used for reaching internal (IGP) and external destinations
(iBGP).  In this talk we model the interaction between these two
routing protocols and precisely identify where oscillation can occur
due to the interaction, and where it cannot.  We apply this analysis
to the iBGP configuration of a large Tier-2 ISP and show that despite
the problem being NP-hard, we can restrict our search to a feasible
size in a realistic network.

Short bio:
Ashley Flavel is a Phd candidate at the University of Adelaide in the
School of Applied Mathematics. He holds degrees from the University
of Adelaide in both Telecommunications Engineering and Mathematical
and Computer Science. His current research involves the measurement
and modeling of the Border Gateway Protocol. He will be submitting
his Phd thesis in late 2008.