[talks] Mark Pauly Talk Tomorrow

Thomas Funkhouser funk at CS.Princeton.EDU
Sun Oct 19 07:23:29 EDT 2008

Mark Pauly will be giving the PIXL talk tomorrow at noon in CS 402.

###################

Title:
Symmetry Detection and Structure Discovery for Digital 3D Geometry

Abstract:
With recent advances in 3D acquisition technology we witness a
tremendous growth in the size and complexity of digital 3D models at all
scales. We are now capable of digitizing entire cities, reconstruct the
intricate 3D structures of human organs, or build accurate spatial
representations of complex molecules. One of the key challenges in
processing such data is finding and extracting geometric content
relevant for a specific application.
In this talk I will introduce a computational framework for symmetry
detection and structure discovery in digital 3D geometry. The approach
is fully automatic and assumes no prior knowledge on the location, size,
or shape of the symmetric elements. Based on a statistical analysis of
pairwise similarity transformations, our method successfully discovers
complex regular structures amidst clutter, noise, and missing geometry.
This enables applications in model repair, automated data
classification, shape retrieval, reverse engineering, or compression.
I will also discuss how symmetry detection and geometric optimization
methods can be combined to yield an effective tool for shape design that
allows enhancing or de-emphasising symmetries.

Bio:
Mark Pauly is an assistant professor at the CS department of ETH Zurich.
>From August 2003 to March 2005 he was a postdoctoral scholar at Stanford
University, where he also held a position as visiting assistant
professor during the summer of 2005. He received his Ph.D. degree (with
distinction) in 2003 from ETH Zurich and his M.S. degree (with honors)
in 1999 from TU Kaiserslautern. His research interests include computer
graphics and animation, geometry processing, shape modeling and
analysis, and computational geometry. He was recipient of a full-time
scholarship of the German National Merit Foundation, received the ETH
medal for outstanding dissertation, and was awarded the Eurographics
Young Researcher Award in 2006.