[talks] Kavita Bala talk

Tom Funkhouser funk at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed Sep 17 14:57:59 EDT 2008

*Speaker:
Kavita Bala, Cornell University

Title:
Perceptually-based scalable graphics

Abstract:
Simulating the appearance of complex scenes faithfully and efficiently
is a challenge in graphics. My research develops algorithms that scale
to complex illumination and scenes, by exploiting limitations in human
perception. In this talk I will describe two complementary research
goals. First, we need to understand image fidelity: when is a rendered
image good enough? We introduce a new appearance-based measure of image
fidelity called visual equivalence[SIG07,SIG08] that goes beyond pixel
accuracy to better capture what graphics practitioners care about:
preserving appearance in complex scenes.

Second, we design perceptually-based algorithms that scale to complex
scenes and complex illumination effects, like motion blur,
depth-of-field, participating media, and subsurface scattering. I will
describe our work on lightcuts for scalable final rendering
[SIG05,SIG06,EG08] and matrix row-column sampling for lighting preview
[SIG07,EGSR08]. These approaches are complementary in performance and
can be applied across a range of applications such as cinematic
relighting, production rendering, games, cultural heritage, and
ecommerce, among others.

Bio:
Kavita Bala is an Assistant Professor in the Computer Science Department
and Program of Computer Graphics at Cornell University. She received her
S.M. and Ph.D. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), and
her B.Tech. from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT, Bombay). Bala
specializes in computer graphics, leading research projects in scalable
rendering, perceptually-based rendering, interactive global
illumination, and image-based modeling and texturing. She has
co-authored the graduate-level textbook "Advanced Global Illumination"
(A K Peters publisher, second edition). In 2005 she co-chaired the
Eurographics Symposium on Rendering (EGSR). Bala has received the NSF
CAREER award, Cornell's College of Engineering James and Mary Tien
Excellence in Teaching Award, and Cornell's Affinito-Stewart award.

**Time/Place:
Monday, September 22, 2008
12:00 - 1:30PM, CS 402 (PIXL Lunch)

*