[talks] W Kim generals

Melissa Lawson mml at CS.Princeton.EDU
Thu Jan 15 15:34:17 EST 2009

Wonho Kim will present his research seminar/general exam on Thursday January 22 at
2PM in Room 402.  The members of his committee are;  Vivek Pai (advisor), Jennifer
Rexford, and Mike Freedman.  Everyone is invited to attend his talk, and those faculty
wishing to remain for the oral exam following are welcome to do so.  His abstract and
reading list follow below.
----------------------------------
Abstract

Interactive development of large-scale networked systems is hard to achieve. We believe
one of the key technology enablers for interactive development environment will be fast
and efficient file synchronization since many distributed systems assume every change is
synchronized with the participating nodes. However, most existing tools mainly focus on
bandwidth efficiency and do not optimize the total completion time, which reduces both
user interactivity and productivity.

In this work, we explore design spaces for interactive file synchronization in
heterogeneous networked systems environment.
Specifically, we develop and compare a number of file distribution policies for minimizing
the synchronization latency. Our policies prioritize remote nodes and files based on
information dynamically available on run-time, and decide how to divide workloads between
the origin server and external data dissemination services such as Contents Distribution
Networks (CDN). Through simulations and evaluations on PlanetLab, we show that even a
slight change in the policy can make drastic difference in terms of the total completion
time under various scenarios.

Reading list

[Papers]

[1] J. R. Albrecht, C. Tuttle, A. C. Snoeren, and A. Vahdat. Loose synchronization for
large-scale networked systems. In Proceedings of the USENIX Annual Technical Conference,
May 2006.

[2] K. P. Birman, M. Hayden, O. Ozkasap, Z. Xiao, M. Budiu, and Y.
Minsky. Bimodal multicast. ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, pages 41–88, May 1999.

[3] A. Muthitacharoen, B. Chen, and D. Mazières. A low-bandwidth network file system. In
Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP), October 2001.

[4] K. Park and V. S. Pai. Scale and performance in the CoBlitz large-file distribution
service. In Proceedings of the Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation
(NSDI), May 2006.

[5] J. Albrecht, R. Braud, D. Dao, N. Topilski, C. Tuttle, A. C.
Snoeren, and A. Vahdat. Remote control: Distributed application configuration,management,
and visualization with plush. In USENIX Large Installation System Administration
Conference (LISA), Nov. 2007.

[6] M. Harchol-Balter, B. Schroeder, N. Bansal, and M. Agrawal.
Size-based scheduling to improve web performance. ACM Transactions on Computer Systems
(TOCS), May 2003.

[7] D. K. C, A. Rodriguez, J. Albrecht, and A. Vahdat. Bullet: High bandwidth data
dissemination using an overlay mesh. In Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Operating
Systems Principles (SOSP), Oct. 2003.

[8] H. Pucha, M. Kaminsky, D. G. Andersen, and M. A. Kozuch. Adaptive file transfers for
diverse environments. In Proceedings of the USENIX Annual Technical Conference, June 2008.

[9] A. Tridgell. Efficient Algorithms for Sorting and Synchronization.
PhD thesis, The Australian National University, Feb. 1999.

[Text Book]

L. Peterson, and B. Davie, Computer Networks: A Systems Approach, 4th Edition, Morgan
Kaufmann Publishers, March 2007.