[talks] Colloquium Speaker, Wed. Nov. 11, 2009- Andrew Bavier

Michele J. Brown mjbrown at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Nov 9 16:07:33 EST 2009

Title: Establishing Resource Allocation Policies in the PlanetLab
Federation
Andrew Bavier, Princeton University, Computer Science Department
Wednesday, Nov 11, 2009
4:30PM
Small Auditorium, CS 105

Over time PlanetLab has evolved from a centrally-administered testbed to
a federation of regional testbeds that are operated independently. The
PlanetLab software is also freely available, which has allowed many
organizations to bring up their own "private" PlanetLabs. For most
private PlanetLabs, a barrier to entering the federation is the
inability to express access and allocation policies for their own
resources, and the lack of tools to communicate, analyze, and enforce
those policies. In the first part of my talk, I will present an overview
of the PlanetLab federation. Next I will focus on VINI, a private
PlanetLab we have deployed in Internet2 and NLR, and which is intended
for evaluating new network architectures. Finally, I will describe a
tool ("sfatables") we have built for expressing and enforcing resource
allocation policies. Our approach was designed to enable VINI to
federate with PlanetLab, but it is general enough to accommodate a
diverse collection of computing facilities.

This talk describes joint work with Larry Peterson, Sapan Bhatia,
Jennifer Rexford, and Nick Feamster.