[talks] David Naumann--Colloquium Speaker, Wednesday, October 18, 2009

Michele J. Brown mjbrown at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Nov 16 16:19:08 EST 2009

Title: Smart Assertions for Dumb Provers
David Naumann, Stevens Institute of Technology
4:30PM- Small Auditorium CS105
Host: Andrew Appel

Assertions are widely used for runtime checking of software correctness,
and increasingly used for compile time checking of simple properties
like array index bounds. Structural integrity of pointer based data
structures and design patterns often involves recursively defined
properties which are costly to check at runtime and which appear to be
unsuited to static checking using fully automated theorem provers.
Remarkably, judicious use of ghost state lets programmers express
recursive properties in pure first order logic and successfully use fast
provers based on SAT solving.  In this talk I will introduce the
technique in elementary terms, for programmers, who may find it
immediately useful in testing.  I will also outline research questions
about how to use the technique in frame conditions, in refactoring, in
foundational proofs, in refinement types, in terms of aspects, and in
checking information flow properties.

Joint work with Anindya Banerjee, Mike Barnett, and Stan Rosenberg