[talks] M Carroll preFPO

Melissa M. Lawson mml at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Oct 6 10:53:16 EDT 2009

Melissa Carroll will present her preFPO at 2PM on Monday October 12
in Room 402.  The members of her committee are:  Rob Schapire,
advisor; Ken Norman (Psychology) and Irina Rish (IBM), readers;
David Blei and Peter Ramadge (ELE), nonreaders.  Everyone is invited
to attend her talk.  Her abstract follows below.
---------------------

Capturing Spatial Structure of Response in Predictive fMRI Models

Functional MRI (fMRI) is commonly used to map between brain regions and
mental functions.  Traditional analyses have focused on testing putative
associations between large, known brain regions and broad mental tasks;
however, machine learning techniques applied globally at the scale of 3D
voxels have been used to produce fine-scaled predictive associations.
Extracting meaningful insight into brain structure-function
relationships from these techniques remains a challenge, though,
partially because voxels are arbitrary discretizations of the underlying
activation signal, leading to spatial auto-correlation and interfering
with model interpretation.  I discuss methods that address this spatial
structure with the goal of achieving well-predicting models that are
also reliable and easily interpreted.

I first demonstrate that sparse regression methods produce more accurate
mental state predictions than non-sparse methods.  Furthermore, I show
that the Elastic Net hybrid regularized regression penalization produces
models that select more reliable sets of voxels across experimental runs
than the standard LASSO, without compromising prediction performance.
This increased reliability comes in part from greater inclusion from
within spatially localized clusters of activity, and the most predictive
models found are those exhibiting distributed patterns of localized
activity.

Given the local clustering properties of the fMRI signal, a natural way
to improve reliability further might be to directly find these clusters.
  Spatial filters have traditionally been used to smooth fMRI data and
reduce noise; however, the optimal filter varies by task, region, and
subject, and training models to find the most predictive filters can be
computationally prohibitive.  I describe a parallel implementation of
the LARS-EN algorithm that can exploit massively parallel architectures,
and demonstrate the feasibility of using it to build models from
hundreds or thousands of spatial filters, e.g. Gaussian or wavelet.  I
show how this framework can be used as a test-bed for evaluating filter
sets, with the potential to produce more reliable models without
compromising prediction performance or parsimony.  I also show how these
models can be interpreted to elucidate spatial properties of the neural
response.

Finally, I introduce an alternative method that can potentially model
more precise Gaussian spatial filters within a flexible framework.  This
approach directly determines filter parameters by treating the fMRI
activity as a distribution in space, characterized as a Mixture of
Gaussians.  Unlike recent similar models, I show that by assuming a
Bayesian hierarchical model for the data similar to that of Latent
Dirichlet Allocation, one can exploit developments in variational
inference algorithms for supervised LDA to tractably infer such
probabilistic models within the desired predictive modeling framework.