[talks] 1:30-2:30pm Fri Sep 25 talk on Internet measurement in CS 105

Jennifer Rexford jrex at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Sep 14 21:42:40 EDT 2009

Please let me know if you would like to meet with Professor Mao during
her visit...

Speaker: Professor Z. Morley Mao, U. Michigan
Title: Intelligent Network Measurement for Diagnosis and Attack Defenses
Date/time: 1:30-2:30pm on Friday September 25
Location: CS 105 (small auditorium)

Abstract:

Measurement is a powerful and indispensable technique for discovering
the state of the network and for assisting operational management of
networked systems to ensure good performance and security
properties. Designing the effective measurement technique depending on
the problem context is especially challenging for Internet-based
systems due to issues such as a lack of access, overhead concerns, and
measurement noise. In this talk, I present our experience in designing
and deploying measurement systems for several important applications,
e.g., diagnosing routing performance disruptions and prefix hijacking
attacks from end systems, uncovering spammer behavior through
campaign-based analysis, and detecting network neutrality violation in
backbone ISPs.  I will summarize lessons learned and discuss our
future work on applying intelligent measurement to relatively new
application domains such as data cellular networks and data center
systems.

Z. Morley Mao is an assistant professor of Computer Science and
Engineering at the University of Michigan.  Morley received most of
her degrees (Ph.D., M.S., and B.S.)  from the University of California
at Berkeley. She is a recipient of the NSF CAREER award in 2007, an
IBM Faculty Award in 2008, Sloan Research Fellowship in 2009, and was
recently named the Morris Wellman Faculty Development Professor at
Michigan.  Her research interests encompass network measurements,
routing protocols, distributed systems, and network security.