[talks] C Bienia preFPO

Melissa Lawson mml at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Apr 12 09:53:58 EDT 2010

Christian Bienia will present his preFPO on Wednesday April 14 at 2PM in Room 402.
The members of his committee are:  Kai Li, advisor; J.P. Singh and David August,
readers; Jen Rexford and Margaret Martonosi, nonreaders.  Everyone is invited to
attend his talk.  His abstract follows below.

TITLE:
Benchmarking Modern Multiprocessors

ABSTRACT:

Benchmarking has become one of the most important methods for quantitative
performance evaluation of processor and computer system designs.
Benchmarking of modern multiprocessors such as chip-multiprocessors is
challenging because of their different application domain, scalability and
parallelism requirements. In my thesis, I have developed a methodology to
design effective benchmark suites and demonstrated its effectiveness by
developing and deploying a benchmark suite for evaluating multiprocessors.

More specifically, my thesis includes several contributions. First, the
thesis shows that parallel program behavior has changed significantly over
time and that new benchmark designs need to consider such changes. Second,
the thesis quantitatively describes the requirements and characteristics of
current multithreaded programs and the underlying technology trends that
have shaped them. Third, the thesis presents a systematic approach to scale
and select benchmark inputs with the goal of optimizing benchmarking
accuracy subject to constrained execution or simulation time. Finally, the
thesis describes how I developed a parallel benchmark suite called PARSEC
for evaluating modern shared-memory multiprocessors. Since its initial
release, PARSEC has been adopted by most architecture groups in both
research and industry.