[talks] Brighten Godfrey talk on Distributed Compact Routing Thrus 3pm

Nicole E. Wagenblast nwagenbl at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Feb 2 13:17:52 EST 2010

Title: Distributed Compact Routing
Speaker: Brighten Godfrey, UIUC
Time: 3pm, Thursday, Feb 4th
Room: CS 302

Abstract:

Common wisdom is that the way to scale networks to large size is hierarchy:
routing is performed on higher level aggregates across domains, separately from
routing within domains.  We live with the consequences: inflated path lengths,
and the use of location-dependent addresses (IP addresses in the Internet)
which complicate management, mobility, and multihoming.

I will present Distributed Compact Routing, a protocol which (1) guarantees
scalability, in the form of roughly \sqrt{n} state for a network of n nodes;
(2) guarantees approximately-shortest paths, in the form of constant stretch;
and (3) routes directly on flat, location-independent identifiers.  Our work
builds on recent theoretical advances in the area of compact routing. Past
attempts to translate these centralized algorithms to practical distributed
protocols have had limited success, compromising state or stretch guarantees or
assuming special topologies. Our results thus represent a significant step
forward in routing technology, which we believe has direct applicability to
many kinds of networks including peer-to-peer networks, Internet routing, and
content-centric networks.

Joint work with Ankit Singla, Kevin Fall, Gianluca Iannaccone, and Sylvia
Ratnasamy.