[talks] Vapnik talk, mon, 11/29, 3pm, CS sm. aud.

Robert Schapire schapire at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Nov 22 16:35:26 EST 2010

Vladimir Vapnik, who is renowned for his pioneering and extremely
high-impact work on machine learning, will give a talk this coming
Monday, November 29, at 3pm in the small auditorium (room 105) of the
Computer Science building.  See the abstract below.

  A  NEW LEARNING PARADIGM: LEARNING WITH TEACHER
                       Vladimir Vapnik

Abstract.

The existing machine learning paradigm considers a simple scheme:
given a set of training examples find in a given collection of
functions the one that in the best possible way approximates the
unknown decision rule. In such a paradigm a teacher does not play any
role.

In human learning, however, the role of a teacher is very important:
along with examples a teacher provides students with explanations,
comments, comparisons, and so on. In this talk I will introduce
elements of human teaching in machine learning.  I will introduce an
advanced learning paradigm called learning using privileged
information (LUPI), where at the training stage a teacher gives some
additional information about training examples. This privileged
information will not be available during test stage.

I will consider LUPI paradigm for support vector machine type of
algorithms and demonstrate big superiority of the advanced learning
paradigm over classical one.

The new learning paradigm is general; it can be apply to almost any
learning problem.