[talks] Colloquium Speaker, Sep 29- Michael Mitzenmacher

Nicole E. Wagenblast nwagenbl at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Sep 28 17:02:23 EDT 2010

Some Open Questions Related to Cuckoo Hashing
Michael Mitzenmacher, Harvard
Wednesday, September 29
4:30pm in CS 105

In this talk, we will describe cuckoo hashing, a recently developed hashing scheme that offers the benefits of very high memory utilization and worst-case constant lookup times. We then discuss recent work in the area, including theoretical bounds on performance, practical methods for improving performance, and implementations on a GPU. Along the way, we will suggest several remaining open questions.

The talk will require no prior background on cuckoo hashing, and is aimed for a wide audience, including both theory and systems.

Michael Mitzenmacher is a Professor of Computer Science in the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences at Harvard University. Michael has authored or co-authored over 150 conference and journal publications on a variety of topics, including Internet algorithms, hashing, load-balancing, erasure codes, error-correcting codes, compression, bin-packing, and power laws. His work on low-density parity-check codes received the 2002 IEEE Information Theory Society Best Paper Award and the 2009 SIGCOMM Test of Time Award. His textbook on probabilistic techniques in computer science, co-written with Eli Upfal, was published in 2005 by Cambridge University Press.