[talks] Colloquium Speaker, Micah Kimo Johnson, Wed April 20- 4:30pm

Nicole E. Wagenblast nwagenbl at CS.Princeton.EDU
Thu Apr 14 13:12:32 EDT 2011

Microgeometry Capture using GelSight
Micah Kimo Johnson, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Wednesday, April 20- 4:30pm
Computer Science 105

GelSight is a novel sensor capable of measuring surface texture and shape at high resolutions. The sensor itself is a slab of clear elastomer covered with a reflective skin. When an object presses into the sensor, the reflective skin conforms to the shape of the object's surface. Consequently, GelSight is a simple and effective system for controlling the material properties of the object, allowing for precise surface geometry capture of any material. We have built several different systems using GelSight sensors, including a real-time texture scanner, a multi-touch trackpad, a robotic fingertip, a portable texture scanner, and recently a microgeometry capture system capable of resolving geometry below 2 microns. In this talk, I will give an overview of GelSight and then describe how the sensor materials, illumination design, and capture techniques can be configured for microgeometry capture. I will show that the measured microgeometry can produce high levels of detail in rendering and describe a variety of applications where detailed microgeometry is important.

Micah Kimo Johnson is a Research Scientist at MIT. His current research interests span computer vision and graphics, with an emphasis on image-based analysis of shape, illumination, color, and texture. In addition, he enjoys collaborating on interdisciplinary problems, such as art analysis, audio analysis, and music theory. He holds undergraduate degrees in Mathematics and Music Theory from the University of New Hampshire, an A.M. in Electro-Acoustic Music from Dartmouth College, and a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Dartmouth College.