[talks] R Wang MSE thesis talk

Melissa Lawson mml at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Apr 19 16:03:57 EDT 2011

Richard Wang will present his master's thesis talk on Friday April 22 at 10:30AM in

Room 301.  His advisor is Jen Rexford.  Everyone is invited to attend his talk. His

abstract follows below.

--------------------
abstract:
Today's data centers host online services on multiple servers, with a front-end load
balancer directing each client request to a particular replica. Dedicated load balancers
are expensive and quickly become a single point of failure and congestion. The OpenFlow
standard enables an alternative approach where the commodity network switches divide
traffic over the server replicas, based on packet-handling rules installed by a separate
controller. However, the simple approach of installing a separate rule for each client
connection (or "microflow") leads to a huge number of rules in the switches and a heavy
load on the controller. We argue that the controller should exploit switch support for
wildcard rules for a more scalable solution that directs large aggregates of client
traffic to server replicas. We present algorithms that compute concise wildcard rules that
achieve a target distribution of the traffic, and automatically adjust to changes in
load-balancing policies without disrupting existing connections. We implement these
algorithms on top of the NOX OpenFlow controller, evaluate their effectiveness, and
propose several avenues for further research.