[talks] G Stewart General Exam

Melissa Lawson mml at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed Jan 12 12:01:22 EST 2011

Gordon Stewart will present his research seminar/general exam on
Wednesday January 19 at 2PM in Room 402.  The members of his
committee are:  Andrew Appel 9advisor), David Walker, and David August.
Everyone is invited to attend his talk, and those faculty wishing to remain
for the oral exam following are welcome to do so.  His abstract and
reading list follow below.
-----------------------------------

Abstract
========
Soundness proofs of program logics such as Hoare logics and type systems are
often made easier by decorating the operational semantics with information that
is useful in the proof. However, modifying the operational semantics to carry
around such information can make it more difficult to show that the operational
semantics corresponds to what actually occurs on a real machine.
    In this work we present a program logic framework targeting operational
semantics in Curry-style--that is, operational semantics without proof decora-
tions such as separation algebras, share models, and step indexes. Although we
target Curry-style operational semantics, our framework permits local reason-
ing via the frame rule and retains expressive assertions in the program logic.
Soundness of the program logic is derived mechanically from simple properties
of primitive commands and expressions.
    We demonstrate our framework by deriving a separation logic for the model
of a core imperative programming language with external function calls. We
also apply our framework in a more realistic setting in the soundness proof of
a separation logic for CompCert's Cminor. Our proofs are machine-checked in
Coq.

Research Papers
===============
[Appel and Blazy 2007] A. W. Appel and S. Blazy. Separation logic for small-
   step Cminor. In 20th Intl Conference on Theorem Proving in Higher-Order
   Logics, pages 5-21, 2007.

[Calcagno et al. 2007] C. Calcagno, P. W. O'Hearn, and H. Yang. Local ac-
   tion and abstract separation logic. In LICS'07: Proceedings of the 22nd
   Annual IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, pages 366-378,
   2007. ISBN 0-7695-2908-9. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/LICS.2007.30.

[Dockins et al. 2009] R. Dockins, A. Hobor, and A. W. Appel. A fresh look at
   separation algebras and share accounting. In The 7th Asian Symposium
   on Programming Languages and Systems. Springer ENTCS, 2009. URL
   http://msl.cs.princeton.edu/fresh-sa.pdf.

[Lahiri 2008] S. Lahiri, S. Qadeer. Back to the future: revisiting precise
   program verification using SMT solvers. In POPL'08: Proceedings of the
   35th annual ACM SIGPLAN-SIGACT Symposium on Principles of Programming
   Languages, 2008.

[Lerner 2003] S. Lerner, T. Millstein, and C. Chambers. Automatically Proving
   the Correctness of Compiler Optimizations. In PLDI'03: Proceedings of
   the ACM SIGPLAN Conference on Programming Language Design and
   Implementation, 2003.

[Leroy 2009] X. Leroy. Formal verification of a realistic compiler. Communica-
   tions of the ACM, 52(7):107-115, 2009.

[Leroy and Blazy 2008] X. Leroy and S. Blazy. Formal verification of a C-like
   memory model and its uses for verifying program transformations. J. Au-
   tomated Reasoning, 41(1):1-31, 2008.

[Necula 1997] G. Necula. Proof-Carrying Code. In POPL'97: Proceedings of the
   24th ACM SIGPLAN-SIGACT Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages,
   1997.

[Parkinson 2010] M. Parkinson. The next 700 separation logics. In G. Leavens,
   P. O'Hearn, and S. Rajamani, editors, Verified Software: Theories, Tools,
   Experiments, volume 6217 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages
   169-182. Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, 2010.

[Parkinson et al. 2006] M. Parkinson, R. Bornat, and C. Calcagno. Variables
   as resource in Hoare logics. Proc. of 21st Annual IEEE Symp. on Logic in
   Computer Science, 0:137-146, 2006. ISSN 1043-6871.

[Reynolds 2002] J.C. Reynolds. Separation Logic: a Logic for Shared Mutable
   Data Structures. In LICS'02: Proceedings of the 17th Annual IEEE Symposium
   on Logic in Computer Science, pages 55 - 74, 2002.

Textbooks
=========
[Pierce 2002] B. Pierce. Types and Programming Languages. 2002.

[Winskell 1993] G. Winskell. The Formal Semantics of Programming Languages
   (Chapters 1-7). 1993.