[talks] Systems Lunch Talk Matt Welsh, Friday (Dec 5) at 12:30pm

Mike Freedman mfreed at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed Dec 5 11:56:01 EST 2012

This Friday at 12:30pm (lunch starts at 12:00pm) in Room 302, Matt Welsh
will be talking about his experience "making the mobile web faster" at
Google.

---

Making the Mobile Web Fast

Matt Welsh, Google Inc.

Web usage on mobile devices is exploding, and in many countries,
mobile devices are the predominant means of accessing the Internet.
But the mobile web is still incredibly slow; clearly the web was not
designed for mobile networks. Our team at Google is working to solve
this problem, by optimizing all layers of the stack: device operating
systems, browsers, network protocols, servers, and web content. In
this talk, I'll talk about why the mobile web is slow, provide some
insight into the inner workings of 3G and 4G networks, and provide an
overview of some of our efforts to make the mobile web fast. I'll also
talk a bit about what it was like to make the leap from academia to
industry.

Matt Welsh is the head of mobile web performance at Google. Prior to
joining Google, he was a professor of Computer Science at Harvard,
where he worked on projects ranging from deploying wireless sensor
networks on volcanoes in Ecuador to building a swarm of robotic bees.
He did his PhD at UC Berkeley.