[talks] 11am Wed Jan 18 talk on information-centric networking

Jennifer Rexford jrex at CS.Princeton.EDU
Sat Jan 14 12:02:14 EST 2012

Speaker: Yan Shvartzshnaider, NICTA
Title: A Case for a Global Information Network
Date/time: 11am-noon Wed Jan 18
Location: CS 302

Abstract

There is an ever increasing gap between how the “common man” would describe the
Internet and how a network researcher would.  This is not surprising, as the
“packet with a label identifying the receiver” model seems to be an ill fitting
abstraction for popular services provided by companies such as Google,
Facebook, YouTube, or Twitter.

These services are primarily about information dissemination and a suitable
network service abstraction should really do more than deliver individual
packets with minimal latency. We argue that we should adopt an
information-centric system model instead of the current service oriented
one. Instead of dealing with information exchange between specific services on
a case by case bases, we should instead consider a global information storage
and dissemination network on which individual applications and services are
built.

In this talk I will discuss our vision the future architecture and give a brief
overview on our progress so far.

Bio:

Yan Shvartzshnaider is a PhD Candidate in the school of Engineering and
Information Technologies in the University of Sydney and a graduate researcher
in National ICT Australia (NICTA), Networking Group in ATP lab. His research
focus is on large scale networking systems, in particular, developing a fully
distributed information-centric networking abstraction.