[talks] J Cesareo MSE talk

Melissa M. Lawson mml at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue May 1 15:19:24 EDT 2012

Jacopo Cesareo will present his MSE talk on Monday May 7 at 11AM
in Room 302 (note room!).  The members of his committee are:
Jen Rexford, advisor and Michael Freedman, reader.  Everyone is
invited to attend his talk.  His abstract follows below.
------------------------

Traffic filters block clients from communicating with certain Internet
destinations. To prevent clients from evading the filtering policies,
traffic filters may also block access to well- known anonymizing
proxies. In response, researchers have designed more sophisticated
circumvention techniques that rely on implicit proxies, lying along the
path to unfiltered destinations. An implicit proxy transparently
deflects traffic directed to an unfiltered destination toward the
filtered destination.
However, the effectiveness of implicit proxies highly depends on their
presence in paths between clients and unfiltered destinations. In this
paper we formulate and solve the problem of proxy placement, and
evaluate our algorithms on snapshots of the Internet topology for a
variety of client and destination sets. We also consider smart filtering
techniques that select alternate routes to avoid implicit proxies, as
well as the effects of asymmetric Internet routing. Our results show
that a relatively small number of proxies can satisfy a large group of
clients across a range of geographic locations.