[talks] D Drutskoy MSE talk

Melissa M. Lawson mml at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue May 1 17:00:27 EDT 2012

Dmitry Drutskoy will present his MSE talk on Monday May 7 at 11:30AM
in Room 302 (note room!).  The members of his committee are Jen
Rexford, advisor, and Michael Freedman, reader.  Everyone is
invited to attend his talk. His abstract follows below.
--------------------

FlowN: Software-Defined Network Virtualization

With the standardization of the interface between the control plane and data
plane, software defined networking is a natural fit with network virtualization
as any software can run to interact with the data plane. A virtualization
layer can then be created which then modifies the view of the physical network
and enables multiple control planes to run concurrently -- each targeting
their view of the dataplane. In contrast to previous virtualization solutions,
we present the FlowN system, which implements full network virtualization.
With this, each virtual network:
(i) is independent and can control the entire flow address space,
(ii) can control the entire path within the network to enable
control over, for example, bandwidth allocation and handling failure, and
(iii) can be an arbitrary topology.

The FlowN architecture is designed to be scalable through the use of existing
database technology for mapping virtual to physical topologies, as well as
a shared controller platform analogous to container-based virtualization.
Our prototype extends the OpenFlow NOX controller and uses a MySQL database.
We demonstrate the latency efficiency of our container based approach by
comparing it to FlowVisor and unvirtualized NOX.