[talks] T Pereira generals - room change

Melissa M. Lawson mml at CS.Princeton.EDU
Thu May 10 13:35:36 EDT 2012

Please note change of room to 302.

Thiago Pereira will present his research seminar/general exam
on Thursday May 17 at 2PM in Room 302 (note room!).  The
members of his committee are:  Szymon Rusinkiewicz (advisor),
Adam Finkelstein, and Rebecca Fiebrink.  Everyone is invited
to attend his talk and those faculty wishing to remain for the
oral exam following are welcome to do so.  His abstract and
reading list follow below.
-------------------------------------

Recent spatially varying reflectance (svBRDF) printing systems can reproduce an input document as a combi- nation of matte, glossy and metallic inks. Due to the limited number of inks, this reproduction process incurs some distortion. In this work, we present an svBRDF gamut mapping algorithm that minimizes distortions in the angular and spatial domains. To preserve a material’s perceived variation with lighting and view, we introduce an improved BRDF similarity metric that builds on both experimental results on reflectance perception and on the statistics of natural lighting environments. Our experiments show better preservation of object color and high- lights, as validated quantitatively as well as through a perceptual study. As for the spatial domain, we show how to adapt traditional color gamut mapping methods to svBRDFs. Our solution takes into account the contrast between regions, achieving better preservation of textures and edges.

Reading List:

DROR, R., LEUNG, T., ADELSON, E., AND WILLSKY, A. 2001.
Statistics of real-world illumination. In Computer Vision and
Pattern Recognition, 2001. CVPR 2001. Proceedings of the 2001
IEEE Computer Society Conference on, vol. 2, II–164 – II–171
vol.2.

FATTAL, R., LISCHINSKI, D., AND WERMAN, M. 2002. Gradient
domain high dynamic range compression. In Proceedings of the
29th annual conference on Computer graphics and interactive
techniques, ACM, New York, NY, USA, SIGGRAPH ’02, 249–256.

FLEMING, R., DROR, R. O., AND ADELSON, E. H. 2001. How
do humans determine reflectance properties under unknown illumination.
In In Proceedings of CVPR Workshop on Identifying Objects Across
Variations in Lighting: Psychophysics and Computation,347–368.

HEARN, D., AND BAKER, M. P. Computer graphics with opengl.

KIMMEL, R., SHAKED, D., ELAD, M., AND SOBEL, I. 2005.
Space-dependent color gamut mapping: a variational approach.
Image Processing, IEEE Transactions on 14, 6 (june), 796 –803.

LAU, C., HEIDRICH, W., AND MANTIUK, R. 2011. Clusterbased
color space optimizations. In Proceedings of International
Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV) 2011.

MATUSIK, W., PFISTER, H., BR, M., AND MCMILLAN, L. 2003.
A data-driven reflectance model. ACM Transactions on Graphics
22, 759–769.

MATUSIK, W., AJDIN, B., GU, J., LAWRENCE, J., LENSCH, H.
P. A., PELLACINI, F., AND RUSINKIEWICZ, S. 2009. Printing
spatially-varying reflectance. In ACM SIGGRAPH Asia 2009 papers,
ACM, New York, NY, USA, SIGGRAPH Asia ’09, 128:1–128:9.

NGAN, A., DURAND, F., AND MATUSIK, W. 2006. Image-driven navigation
of analytical brdf models. In Eurographics Symposium on Rendering.

NICODEMUS, F. E., RICHMOND, J. C., HSIA, J. J., GINSBERG,
I. W., AND LIMPERIS, T. 1992. Radiometry. 94–145.

PELLACINI, F., FERWERDA, J. A., AND GREENBERG, D. P.
2000. Toward a psychophysically-based light reflection model
for image synthesis. In Proceedings of the 27th annual conference
on Computer graphics and interactive techniques, ACM Press/
Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., New York, NY, USA, SIGGRAPH ’00, 55–64.

ZOLLIKER, P., AND SIMON, K. 2007. Retaining local image information
in gamut mapping algorithms. Image Processing, IEEE Transactions on
16, 3 (march), 664 –672