[talks] 4:30pm Mon Nov 26 talk on "Software-based services for cloud networks" in CS 402

Jennifer Rexford jrex at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed Nov 21 19:47:05 EST 2012

Software-based Services for Cloud Networks
Anees Shaikh, IBM Research
Monday, November 26, 2012, 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM
Computer Science 402

Software-defined networking (SDN) aims to provide a well-defined
programming and automation interface to network devices.   In moving
network control and functionality to software running on standard server
platforms, SDNs depart from the traditional, vertically integrated model
of network hardware and software.  We view SDNs as a new opportunity for
supporting more seamless integration of networks with IT processes, and
for providing higher-value network services.

In this talk, after describing the SDN model and our approach for building
SDNs, we will focus on the problem of providing networking services for
cloud computing platforms.  As more enterprises look to leverage the cost
and flexibility advantages of cloud computing, the lack of rich networking
support remains a challenge.  We will discuss the requirements of
enterprise line-of-business applications for additional network functions
in the cloud, and describe our research efforts to develop networking
services for multi-tenant enterprise clouds using software-defined
networking techniques.

Anees Shaikh is a Research Staff Member and Manager with the IBM TJ Watson
Research Center in New York.   He currently leads the Systems Networking
Research group at Watson, focusing on problems related to data center and
cloud networks.

www:  http://researcher.ibm.com/researcher/view.php?person=us-aashaikh