[talks] Seminar: Prof. Josep Torrellas, UIUC. Tuesday April 30.

Margaret Martonosi mrm at princeton.edu
Thu Apr 25 12:13:50 EDT 2013

Hello--

Prof. Josep Torrellas from UIUC will be visiting Princeton and giving a seminar on Tuesday April 30.  The seminar will be from 12:30-1:30 in CS Room 302, with pizza beforehand starting at noon.  Title/abstract below.

I have reserved a 1-hour slot for him to meet with grad students from 2:30-3:30pm that day. That will occur in CS room 401.

If you are interested in a one-on-one slot with Josep, please email me---he has a couple morning slots still available.

Thanks,
Margaret

     Toward Programmable High-Performance Multicores

                  Josep Torrellas
        http://iacoma.cs.uiuc.edu/~torrellas

One of the biggest challenges facing us today is how to design parallel
architectures that attain high performance while efficiently supporting
a programmable environment. In this talk, I describe novel organizations
that will make the next generation of multicores more programmable and
higher performance. Specifically, I show how to automatically reuse the
upcoming transactional memory hardware for optimized code generation. Next,
I describe a prototype of Record&Replay hardware that brings program
monitoring for debugging and security to the next level of capability. I
also describe a new design of hardware fences that is overhead-free and
requires no software support. Finally, if time permits, I will outline
architectural support to detect sequential consistency violations transparently.

BIO:
Josep Torrellas is a Professor of Computer Science and
Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign (UIUC). He is a Fellow of IEEE and ACM. He is the
Director of the Center for Programmable Extreme-Scale Computing, a
center funded by DARPA, DOE, and NSF that focuses on architectures for
extreme energy and power efficiency. He also directs the Intel-Illinois
Parallelism Center (I2PC), a center created by Intel to advance parallel
computing in clients. He has made contributions to parallel computer
architecture in the areas of shared-memory multiprocessor organizations,
cache hierarchies and coherence protocols, thread-level speculation,
and hardware and software reliability. He received a Ph.D. from
Stanford University.

Margaret Martonosi
Hugh Trumbull Adams '35 Professor of Computer Science
Princeton University
http://www.princeton.edu/~mrm
mrm at princeton.edu