[talks] Graham Cormode visiting

Ariel Rabkin asrabkin at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri Jan 25 12:13:07 EST 2013

Hi all.

Here's another in our series of data and database talks.  Talk will be
on Weds Jan 30, Room 302 at noon.

NOTE THAT THERE WILL NOT BE A REMINDER THE DAY-OF, BECAUSE MAILING
LISTS WILL BE DOWN DUE TO MIGRATION!!!

Let me know if you want to meet with the speaker; should be of
interest to both theory and systems people.

Talk:  Small Summaries for Big Data

 In dealing with big data, we often need to look at a small summary to
get the big picture. Over recent years, many new techniques have been
developed which allow important properties of large distributions to
be extracted from compact and easy-to-build summaries. In this talk,
I'll highlight some examples of different types of summarization:
sampling, sketching, and special-purpose. Then I'll outline the road
ahead for further development of such summaries.

Graham Cormode is a Principal Member of Technical Staff in the
Database Management Group at AT&T Shannon Laboratories in New Jersey.
Previously, he was a researcher at Bell Labs, after postdoctoral study
at the DIMACS center in Rutgers University from 2002-2004. His PhD was
granted by the University of Warwick in 2002. His work considers
aspects of managing and working with large amounts of data, with
particular emphasis on privacy and anonymization, and large scale
analytics.

--Ari