[talks] Tobechukwu Nwanna MSE thesis talk

Melissa M. Lawson mml at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed May 1 15:43:53 EDT 2013

Tobechukwu Nwanna will present his MSE thesis talk on Monday May 6 at 1PM
in Room 402.  The members of his committee are:  Szymon Rusinkiewicz, advisor
and Margaret Martonosi, reader. Everyone is invited to attend his talk.  His
abstract follows below.
--------------------

Real time three dimensional motion sensing using sensor fusion on
smartphones

The need for users to explore three dimensional spaces is becoming
increasingly common. Currently most input devices for interfacing with
these environments try to map two dimensional movement to a three
dimensional space. This means that to fully explore the environment,
either mode switching or other combinations of inputs are required.
While this works, it is unintuitive and unnatural.

There have been a number of natural user interfaces that provide more
intuitive controls through a wide variety of methods including inertial
navigation and visual odometry. Inertial navigation tracks the relative
position and orientation of an object with dead reckoning, using the
objects' internal motion sensors. Visual odometry, on the other hand,
tracks the optical flow of features identified using a camera and
attempts to estimate the camera pose and movement from that. While each
method has its advantages, each also has weaknesses that usually require
the use of an external sensor for correction.

We propose a solution that does not require an external sensor and
instead uses each method to correct for errors in the other. We chose
smartphones as a medium as they are sensor rich devices and ubiquitous
enough to most users are comfortable using them. Our method tracks the
orientation of the device using internal motion sensors while tracking
the linear motion using camera data. Both types of input are placed into
a kalman filter that attempts to minimize the effects of noise and
reduce the accumulation of errors in each using data from the other. In
addition to explaining the system, we will detail some potential uses
and how this interface improves over existing ones.