[talks] Amy Tai will present her Generals on May 12, 2015 at 2pm in CS 301.

Nicki Gotsis ngotsis at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon May 4 16:44:46 EDT 2015

Amy Tai will present her Generals on May 12, 2015 at 2pm in CS 301.

Committee Members: Mike Freedman (adviser), Kai Li, and Andrea LaPaugh.

Everyone is invited to attend her talk, and those faculty wishing to remain for the oral exam following are welcome to do so.  Her abstract and reading list follow below.

abstract:
Tango is a framework that allows clients to use distributed data structures without worrying about the underlying implementation. Tango achieves this through an underlying distributed log, called Corfu. Corfu currently has a bottleneck in the single sequencer that all requests must go through in order to write to the log. To overcome this bottleneck, we propose modifying Corfu to employ multiple sequencers. We show that in order to preserve Corfu's linearizability guarantee, the system on average only achieves a fractional additional throughput with each additional sequencer. Due to this result, we shift our analysis to the Tango layer of abstraction; we prove that the transactions in Tango with multiple sequencers still achieve strict serializability. We implement multiple sequencers in Tango and show that performance can increase almost linearly with additional sequencers, up to 3, as long as the read fraction of the workload is low. As expected, multiple sequencers have similar throughput to a single sequencer when all transactions contain reads.

reading list: