[talks] Soudeh Ghorbani talk Fri Nov 13 11am-11.30am

Nicole E. Wagenblast nwagenbl at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Nov 9 12:16:47 EST 2015

Soudeh Ghorbani, a PhD student at UIUC working with Brighten Godfrey,

is visiting Princeton on November 13 to give a talk. Please see
details of her talk below.

What: Micro Load Balancing in Data Centers with DRILL
When: Friday November 13 from 11am-11.30am
Where: COS 302
Speaker: Soudeh Ghorbani, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

~~~~~
Micro Load Balancing in Data Centers with DRILL

The trend towards simple data center network fabric strips most
network functionality, including load balancing capabilities, out of
the network core and pushes them to the edge. We investigate a
different direction of incorporating minimal load balancing
intelligence into the network fabric and show that this slightly
smarter fabric significantly enhances performance. We provide a very
simple in-network load balancing scheduling algorithm called DRILL
which is purely local to each switch. DRILL leverages local load
sensing and randomization concepts to distribute load among multiple
paths. Through simulation, we show that this simple approach
outperforms CONGA, a recent global edge-based load balancing scheme
for data centers. We also formally prove the switch-level stability
and throughput-efficiency of DRILL’s scheduling algorithm.
~~~~~

Srinivas