[talks] Alex Iriza will present his Master's thesis talk on Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 1:30pm in CS 401

Nicki Gotsis ngotsis at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed Sep 9 10:01:03 EDT 2015

Alex Iriza will present his Master's thesis talk on Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 1:30pm in CS 401.

The members of his committee are Jérémie Lumbroso (adviser) and Bob Sedgewick (co-adviser).

Everyone is invited to attend his talk.  His abstract follows below.

Title:
Enumeration and random generation of unlabeled classes of graphs: a practical study of cycle pointing and the dissymmetry theorem

Abstract:
Our work studies the enumeration and random generation of unlabeled combinatorial classes of unrooted graphs. While the technique of vertex pointing provides a straightforward procedure for analyzing a labeled class of unrooted graphs by first studying its rooted counterpart, the existence of nontrivial symmetries in the unlabeled case causes this technique to break down. Instead, techniques such as the dissymmetry theorem (of Otter) and cycle pointing (of Bodirsky et al.) have emerged in the unlabeled case, with the former providing an enumeration of the class and the latter providing both an enumeration and an unbiased sampler. In this work, we extend the power of the dissymmetry theorem by showing that it in fact provides a Boltzmann sampler for the class in question. We then present an exposition of the cycle pointing technique, with a focus on the enumeration and random generation of the underlying unpointed class. Finally, we apply cycle pointing to enumerate and implement samplers for the classes of distance-hereditary graphs and three-leaf power graphs.