[talks] Physics Colloquium, Thurs. Feb. 11; Sebastian Seung (Princeton), “Structure and function of the retina,” 4:30 p.m., Jadwin A-10

Nicole E. Wagenblast nwagenbl at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri Feb 5 14:17:55 EST 2016

Princeton University Department of Physics
Hamilton Colloquium Series
Sebastian Seung, Neuroscience Institute and Computer Science Department, Princeton University
4:30 p.m., Thursday, February 11, 2016
Jadwin Hall, Room A-10
Host: N. Phuan Ong , Princeton University
Tea at 4 p.m., Lounge Area outside Jadwin A-10

Structure and function of the retina

The importance of determining and interpreting the structures of atoms, crystals, and proteins was established long ago. I will discuss current efforts to extend this paradigm to the brain, focusing on new discoveries concerning the structure of the retina gained through 3D electron microscopy, computer vision, and crowdsourcing. I will also describe how such structural information is helpful for understanding how the retina carries out the first steps of visual perception.