[talks] TODAY: Physics Colloquium, 4:30 p.m. Thurs. Feb. 11; Sebastian Seung (Princeton), “Structure and function of the retina,” Jadwin A-10

Nicole E. Wagenblast nwagenbl at CS.Princeton.EDU
Thu Feb 11 10:01:42 EST 2016

Princeton University Department of Physics

Hamilton Colloquium Series

Speaker:

Sebastian Seung

Neuroscience Institute and Computer Science Department

Princeton University

“Structure and function of the retina”

The importance of determining and interpreting the structures of atoms, crystals, and proteins was established long ago. I will discuss current efforts to extend this paradigm to the brain, focusing on new discoveries concerning the structure of the retina gained through 3D electron microscopy, computer vision, and crowdsourcing. I will also describe how such structural information is helpful for understanding how the retina carries out the first steps of visual perception.

4:30 p.m., Thursday, February 11, 2016

Jadwin Hall, Room A-10

Host: N. Phuan Ong , Princeton University

Tea at 4 p.m., Lounge Area outside Jadwin A-10