[talks] Colloquium Speaker David Chu, Monday, Feb 15, 12:30pm

Mitra Kelly mkelly at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Feb 15 09:55:36 EST 2016

Colloquium Speaker

David Chu, MSR

Monday, Feb 15th, 12:30pm

Room CS 105

Title:

In Pursuit of Low-Latency Interactions on Mobile Devices

Abstract:

Human attention is a scarce resource, but when available, it can also be
wonderfully perceptive. My research seeks to understand: what does it take
for mobile devices --- power-constrained as they are ---  to operate at the
speed of human perception? And what new opportunities emerge as a result?

Via a pair of vignettes, I illustrate two such low-latency mobile systems.
The first focuses on app streaming, an emerging app execution model in which
remote servers execute logic and rendering on behalf of thin clients. App
streaming promises any device access to any app at any time. Unfortunately,
the reality is that wide-area network latencies often exceed thresholds
above which many interactive apps such as games tend to be deemed too slow.
In response, I describe Outatime, a speculative execution system for app
streaming that masks network latency.  In Outatime, the server renders
speculative frames of future possible outcomes, delivering them to the
client one entire roundtrip early, and recovers quickly from
mis-speculations when they occur. Clients perceive little latency. Outatime
has been implemented on two high-quality, commercially-released twitch-based
games.  Users report strongly preferring Outatime to standard streaming,
since Outatime delivers real-time interactivity as fast as --- and in some
cases, even faster than --- traditional local client-side execution.

In a second example of low-latency interaction, I describe a Kinect-like
device tracking system, FAR. Unlike Kinect, FAR is portable, requiring only
the phones in our hands. Yet FAR performs continuous, fast and accurate
phone-to-phone localization that matches the (often very fast) speed and
sensitivity of human movement.  In fact, FAR's accuracy is comparable to ---
and in some cases, even superior to --- that of Kinect.  Lab trials and many
real world deployments indicate that FAR can fully support dynamic human
motion in real-time.

Bio:

David Chu is a researcher in Microsoft's Mobility and Networking Research
Group. His research interests are in mobile systems and applications,
cyber-physical systems, sensing systems, ubiquitous computing and applied
machine learning.  The main thrust of David's current work is toward
low-latency perception-aligned mobile systems. He received the Best Paper
award in MobiSys 2015, the Best Paper nomination in MobiSys 2012, the Best
Demo award in MobiSys 2014, and the Best Demo nomination in SenSys 2011.
David's research has appeared on multiple occasions in tech news such as
TechCrunch, PC Magazine, GameSpot, Ars Technia, Slashdot, The Verge,
Engadget and Wired. At Microsoft, David has contributed to Windows and
Windows Phone, Xbox and HoloLens. David received his B.S. from the
University of Virginia in 2004; and his M.S. and Ph.D. from the University
of California, Berkeley in 2005 and 2009, respectively, while an NSF
Graduate Research Fellow.

Mitra Kelly

Academic Secretary

Princeton University