[talks] Colloquium Speaker -Alp Kucukelbir, Columbia University, Tuesday, Feb 23

Mitra D. Kelly mkelly at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Feb 22 11:19:54 EST 2016

Colloquium Speaker

Alp Kucukelbir, Columbia University

Tuesday, Feb 23 at 12:30

CS 105

# Talk Title

Towards Automated Machine Learning

# Talk Abstract

Machine learning is changing the way we do science. We want to study large
datasets to shed light onto natural processes. (How do proteins function?
How does the brain work?) To this end, we need tools to rapidly and
iteratively explore hidden patterns in data. However, using machine learning
to discover such patterns requires enormous effort and cross-disciplinary
expertise. My goal is to develop easy-to-use machine learning tools that
empower scientists to gain new insights from data. This requires research in
automated algorithms, scalable software, and robust machine learning. These
are the building blocks of effective machine learning tools.

# Bio

Alp is a postdoctoral research scientist at the Data Science Institute and
the department of Computer Science at Columbia University. He works with
David Blei on developing scalable and robust machine learning tools. He
collaborates with Andrew Gelman on the Stan probabilistic programming
system. Alp received his Ph.D. from Yale University, where he was awarded
the Becton prize for best thesis in engineering and applied science. He
holds a B.A.Sc. from the University of Toronto.

Mitra Kelly

Academic Secretary

Princeton University

Computer Science Dept