[talks] Colloquium Speaker Stefanie Mueller, Monday March 28th, 12:30pm

Mitra D. Kelly mkelly at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Mar 21 09:40:06 EDT 2016

Colloquium Speaker

Stefanie Mueller, Human-Computer Interaction Lab at Hasso Plattner Institute

Monday March 28th, 12:30pm

Computer Science 105

Talk Title: Interacting with Personal Fabrication Machines

Abstract: In anticipation of 3D printers reaching millions of users, I am
investigating how to allow future users to interact with the new hardware. I
present a series of interactive software+hardware systems that I created to
answer this question. They are characterized by two main properties. First,
they produce physical output quickly, allowing users not only to see their
results, but also to touch and test their mechanical properties as users
work towards a solution. Second, the systems allow users to interact
directly with the workpiece, i.e., rather than using a digital 3D editor,
users manipulate the workpiece located inside the 3D printer by pointing at
it, causing the machine to then modify the workpiece accordingly. I put my
research into perspective by drawing analogies to the evolution of
interactive computing from batch processing, to turn taking, to direct
manipulation.

Bio:

Stefanie Mueller is a PhD student working with Patrick Baudisch at the
Human-Computer Interaction Lab at Hasso Plattner Institute. In her research,
she develops novel hardware and software systems that advance personal
fabrication technologies. Stefanie has published 10 papers at the most
selective HCI venues CHI and UIST, for which she received a best paper award
and two best paper nominees. She is also serving on the CHI and UIST program
committees as an associate chair. In addition, Stefanie has been an invited
speaker at universities and research labs, such as MIT, Stanford, UC
Berkeley, Microsoft Research, Disney Research, and Adobe Research.

Mitra Kelly

Academic Secretary

Princeton University

Computer Science Dept