[talks] Reminder: Ben Lee, tomorrow at 4:30pm

Emily C. Lawrence emilyl at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Apr 30 08:30:00 EDT 2018

Ben Lee from Duke University
Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.
Maeder Hall auditorium

Title:
Datacenters and Energy Efficiency: A Game-Theoretic Perspective

Abstract:
Sharing datacenter hardware improves energy efficiency, but whether
strategic users participate in consolidated systems depends on management
policies. Users who dislike allocations may refuse to participate and deploy
private, less-efficient systems. We rethink systems management, drawing on
game theory to model strategic behavior and incentivize participation. We
illustrate this perspective for two fundamental challenges in datacenters.
For power delivery, we design sprinting games to produce equilibria in which
users selfishly draw power for performance boosts yet avoid oversubscribing
the shared supply. For resource allocation, we use Cobb-Douglas utility
functions to produce fair allocations that incentivize users to share cache
and memory. These solutions provide foundations for rigorously managing
systems shared by strategic, competitive participants.

Biography:
Benjamin Lee is an Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer
Engineering at Duke University. He received his B.S. from the University of
California at Berkeley (2004), his Ph.D. from Harvard University (2008), and
his post-doctorate from Stanford University (2010). He has held visiting
positions at Microsoft Research, Intel Labs, and Lawrence Livermore National
Lab. Dr. Lee’s research interests include computer architecture, energy
efficiency, and security / privacy. He pursues these interests by building
interdisciplinary links to statistical inference and algorithmic economics.
His research has been recognized by IEEE Micro Top Picks (4x),
Communications of the ACM Research Highlights (3x), as well as paper honors
from the ASPLOS, HPCA, MICRO, and SC conferences. He received the NSF
Computing Innovation Fellowship, NSF CAREER Award, and Google Faculty
Research Award.