[talks] Young Kun Ko PreFPO today, March 29, 2018 at 3:00 pm in CS402.

Barbara A. Mooring bmooring at CS.Princeton.EDU
Thu Mar 29 09:19:14 EDT 2018

Young Kun Ko will present his PreFPO today, March 29, 2018 at 3:00 pm in CS402.

Members of the Committee:

Mark Braverman - Princeton University
Omri Weinstein - Princeton University
Gillat Kol - Princeton University
Ran Raz - Princeton University
Zeev Dvir - Princeton University

All are welcomed to attend.

Title : Hardness amplification for two prover game and communication complexity

Abstract :

Whether repeating a task n-times in parallel amplifies the complexity measure in question by n-times is a key technical challenge in complexity theory.

>From computational perspective, we first investigate the power and limits of parallel repetition of two-prover games. We characterize the amortized behavior of the game via how much information one needs to win the game with good probability — providing an intuitive explanation on why odd-cycle game introduced by [Raz’07] serves as a counter-example to strong parallel repetition.

As an alternative to parallel repetition, we investigate set-based repetition techniques. First we explore the applications of Birthday repetition, first introduced in [AIM’14] for quasi-polynomial time hardness results. Then as an alternative to parallel repetition, we introduce symmetric parallel repetition, that is parallel repetition without coordinates. We show that symmetric parallel repetition indeed beats parallel repetition in some regimes and odd-cycle game is not a counterexample for symmetric parallel repetition. This sheds some light on possible attack route for infamous Unique Games Conjecture.

>From communication complexity perspective, we introduce semi-direct sum as a mean to amplify hardness for asymmetric communication. As an application, we reprove and improve the lower bound for \ell_\infty approximate nearest neighbor search.

Barbara A. Mooring
Interim Graduate Coordinator
Computer Science Department