[talks] RESENDING: Ben Burgess General Exam Presentation - Friday May 18, 2018 at 10:00 am - CS302

Barbara A. Mooring bmooring at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed May 16 10:46:07 EDT 2018

Ben Burgess General Exam Presentation - Friday May 18, 2018 at 10:00 am - CS302

Title:  "Security Evaluation of Trunking

Abstract;

Trunking radio is used as the primary communication system for
almost all large commercial and government agencies. These radio
system provide more convenience than most cellular phones or
conventional two way radios can provide while also in most cases
promising the ability to provide completely secure communications. On
top of providing the ability to use secure voice, trunking radio
vendors offer solutions to rekey the radios over the air in the case
that a radio is lost or stolen.

In this paper, we select trunking radio solutions from the two
dominant vendors in the market, Motorola and Harris. We implement a
proof of concept attack that had been previously theorized [Glass
2011] against a real world deployment of the Motorola trunking radio
solution. We then extend this attack to compromise the security
guarantees the over the air rekey system was thought to provide. We
continue on to reverse engineer the protocol specification of the
Harris solution which was previously tightly controlled and
unavailable for public inspection. We then design an attack against
this system which allows for an adversary to both intercept and forge
traffic between the subscriber unit and base station.

Barbara A. Mooring
Interim Graduate Coordinator
Computer Science Department
Princeton University