[talks] Shilpa Nadimpalli Kobren FPO Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 10:00 am CS402

Mike Freedman mfreed at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri May 25 19:20:23 EDT 2018

Shilpa Nadimpalli Kobren will present her FPO on Thursday, May 31, 2018
at 10:00am in CS402. All are welcomed to attend.

*Committee members:* Mona Singh (adviser), Barbara Engelhardt
(examiner), Stanislav Shvartsman (examiner), Olga Troyanskaya (reader),
and Benjamin J. Raphael (reader)

*Title: *Detecting and Analyzing Variation in Protein Interactions

*Abstract:

*
Proteins carry out a dazzling multitude of functions by interacting with
DNA, RNA, other proteins and various other molecules within our cells.
Together these interactions comprise complex networks that differ
naturally across cells within an organism, across individuals in
a population, and across species. Although such variation is critical
for normal organismal functioning, mutations affecting protein
interactions are also known to underlie a wide range of human diseases.
In this dissertation, I introduce novel computational approaches that
explore the extent to which specific protein interactions vary across
species, across healthy individuals, and across individuals with cancer.

To start, I focus on interaction variation across species. It is well
established that changes in protein-DNA interactions underlie a wide
range of observable differences across species. These differences are
primarily thought to stem from changes in the DNA sites that
transcription factor (TF) proteins bind to, although changes in the
binding properties of TFs themselves have also been observed.
Determining the prevalence of such TF changes, however, remains
infeasible using current experimental approaches. Here, I develop and
apply a comparative genomics framework to systematically quantify
changes in the DNA-binding properties of orthologous TFs across species
spanning ~45 million years of evolutionary divergence. I demonstrate
that, contrary to expectation, cross-species regulatory network
divergence resulting from changes in non-duplicated DNA-binding proteins
is pervasive. These findings reveal a widespread yet largely unstudied
source of divergence across transcriptional regulatory programs in animals.

Next, I turn my attention to interaction variation across individuals.
In order to comprehensively quantify this, I first combine large-scale
sequence, domain and structure information to pinpoint sites within
protein domains---the fundamental structural units in proteins---that
are involved in binding DNA, RNA, peptides, ions, metabolites, or other
small molecules. This domain-based approach enables us to identify
putative interaction sites in over 60% of human genes, representing
a 2.4-fold improvement over comparable state-of-the-art approaches for
this task. I next demonstrate that whereas domain-inferred interaction
sites are significantly depleted of natural variants across ~60,000
healthy individuals, these same sites are significantly enriched for
cancer mutations across ~11,000 tumor samples. My analysis demonstrates
that the cellular network variation that occurs across healthy
individuals is unlikely to be due to changes within proteins; in
contrast, mutations acquired in cancers appear to preferentially alter
cellular networks by perturbing the proteins themselves.

Finally, I show how we can leverage an interaction-based viewpoint to
uncover mutated genes that play causal roles in human cancers. In
particular, I aim to uncover genes whose interaction interfaces are
significantly altered in tumors. Towards this end, I develop a robust
computational framework that integrates my per-domain-position binding
propensities with additional sources of biological data regarding
protein functionality. I demonstrate that by analytically computing the
significance of patterns of mutations, my approach is able to achieve
a dramatic improvement in runtime over atypical empirical permutation
test for this task. Moreover, my interaction-based method not only
recapitulates known cancer driver genes faster and with greater
precision than previous methods, but it also uncovers relatively
rarely-mutated genes with likely roles in cancer. Through focusing on
the somatic alteration of protein interaction interfaces in tumors, my
method can inform the perturbed molecular mechanisms across known and
putative cancer genes, thereby enabling valuable insights that may help
guide personalized cancer treatments.