[talks] ​Nora Willett will present her Pre FPO on Tuesday Nov, 27th, 2018 at 3pm in CS 402.

Nicki Gotsis ngotsis at cs.princeton.edu
Tue Nov 13 13:44:00 EST 2018

Nora Willett will present her Pre FPO on Tuesday Nov, 27th, 2018 at 3pm in CS 402.

The members of her committee are: Adam Finkelstein (Adviser), Szymon Rusinkiewicz, Marshini Chetty, Tom Funkhouser, and Wilmot Li (Adobe).

Everyone is invited to attend her talk. The talk title and abstract follow below:

Title : Animation Authoring Tools

Abstract : Live animation of 2D characters is an emerging form of storytelling that has begun to appear on streaming platforms and broadcast TV. Unlike traditional animation, human performers control characters in real time so that they can respond and improvise to live events. Current live animation systems provide a range of animation controls, such as camera input to drive head movements, audio for lip sync, and keyboard shortcuts to trigger discrete pose changes via artwork swaps. However, managing all of these controls during a live performance is challenging. In this talk, I present three tools to assist performers in creating compelling live 2D animation. First, I will introduce a new interactive system that addresses the problem of triggering artwork swaps in live settings. Next, I will describe a framework that augments the primary motion of a figure by adding secondary motion – subtle movement of parts like hair, foliage or cloth that complements and emphasizes the primary motion. Finally, I will show a mixed initiative interface which, from a few user-drawn scribbles, extracts repetitive texture elements in an image, and supports animating them.