[talks] TODAY 10/17 at 4:30pm in B205 - Negar Kiyavash, Georgia Institute of Technology

Emily Lawrence emilyl at cs.princeton.edu
Wed Oct 17 15:47:10 EDT 2018

EE SEMINAR SERIES

Speaker:

Negar Kiyavash, Georgia Institute of Technology

Title:

Network Inference: from Passive to Active Learning

Day:

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Time:

4:30 pm

Room:

B205 Engineering Quadrangle

Host:

Prof. H. Vincent Poor

Abstract:

One of the paramount challenges of this century is that of understanding
complex, dynamic, large-scale networks. Such high-dimensional networks,
including social, financial, and biological networks, cover the planet and
dominate modern life. In this talk, we propose novel approaches to inference
in such networks, for both active (interventional) and passive
(observational) learning scenarios. We highlight how timing could be
utilized as a degree of freedom that provides rich information about the
dynamics. This information allows resolving direction of causation even when
only a subset of the nodes is observed (latent setting).  In the presence of
large data, we propose algorithms that identify optimal or near-optimal
approximations to the topology of the network often by harnessing side
information about the model class.

Bio:
Negar Kiyavash is a joint Associate Professor in the H. Milton Stewart
School of Industrial & Systems Engineering (ISyE) and the School of
Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at Georgia Institute of Technology
(Gatech). Prior to joining Gatech, when was a Willett Faculty Scholar and a
joint Associate Professor of Industrial and Enterprise Engineering (IE) and
Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at the University of Illinois .
Her research interests are in design and analysis of algorithms for network
inference and security. She is a recipient of NSF CAREER and AFOSR YIP
awards and the Illinois College of Engineering Dean's Award for Excellence
in Research.