[Topic-models] hierarchical bayes compiler (hbc) version 0.2

Hal Daume III hal at cs.utah.edu
Tue Sep 25 11:06:02 EDT 2007

Hi topic buddies --

I thought the members of this list might be interested to know that
version 0.2 of HBC (the Hierarchical Bayes Compiler) is now available.
The original announcement for version 0.1 can be found at:

   http://nlpers.blogspot.com/2007/08/hierarchical-bayes-compiler.html

The HBC web page is at:

      http://hal3.name/HBC
   or http://www.cs.utah.edu/~hal/HBC

The "big deal" with version 0.2 is that variables that are distributed
Dirichlet and are only ever used in a conjugate pairing with
Multinomials can now be automatically collapsed.  This means, for
instance, that the Griffiths+Steyvers collapsed Gibbs LDA is available
for "free" (okay, you have to write six lines of code to specify LDA,
but I think you can handle that).

Finally, here's an appeal to the community:

Currently, HBC only generates C code.  This is great because it's fast,
but maybe you want Python or Java or whathaveyou.  Here's the deal (this
is also posted as a comment on the blog link above).  If you want me to
target HBC to your language of choice, then I need you to provide me
with the equivalent of stats.c in your language.  If you do that, I'll
promise to work on the code generator.

Best,

  - Hal

--