[Topic-models] About the lda-c code and how it relates to the jmlr paper

Alexandre Passos alexandre.tp at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 19:04:54 EDT 2010

By reading the paper, my impression was that the variational bayesian
algorithm for LDA proceeded by:

 - initializing the phi variational mean field for each word in the corpus

- initializing the gamma variational pseudo-count for each document-topic pair

 - using equation 16 (appendix A.3.1) to update all phi given the
values of all gamma and the actual word counts for the documents

 - using equation 17 (appendix A.3.2) to udpate all gamma given the
values of all phi

 - looping these past two steps until convergence (and, if needed,
updating the alpha and beta hyperparameters to improve even further
the variational lower bound)

However, looking at lda-c-dist, it seems like it does no such thing.
I'm sure I'm not understanding some things, so:

 - why is inference used every time the document e step is computed
(ie, why does lda-estimate.c:doc_e_step call
lda-inference.c:lda_inference?)

 - why in lda-inference.c:lda_inference is phi_nk updated as
digamma(gamma_k) + log(Pk(w)) instead of Pk(w) exp(digamma(gamma_k) -
digamma(sum(gamma))), as equation 16 from the paper would lead one to
conclude? I see that it is computing log(phi_nk) instead of phi_nk,
but there seems to be a missing digamma factor. Can he omit that
because it disappears after sum-normalizing the phi variables?

 - lda-inference.c:lda_inference seems to do many passes until
convergence. Why should it converge when you're just estimating the
model? Don't these extra iterations screw up the estimations of phi
and gamma?

 - phi seems to be reestimated using a default gamma (in
lda-inference.c:lda_inference) equal to alpha*nwords/ntopics, and
gamma seems to be reestimated after this (for which reason?) as
this_value + count[w] * (phi_nk - oldphi_nk) (after normalizing phi),
and this estimate is reupdated for each word in each document, during
inference. Doesn't this mean that the phi for different words will see
different values of the gamma? And why not following equation 17 from
the paper?

I posted this question on MetaOptimize (
http://metaoptimize.com/qa/questions/1842/about-the-original-variational-lda-algorithm
) as well, if anyone is interested (although there is nothing of
substance there)

Thanks in advance for any replies,
--
 - Alexandre