[Topic-models] HLDA NCRP branching off

Jake Sully ccrraappy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 00:49:36 EDT 2010

Hi List,

I have some questions regarding the branching of NCRP with reference
to this earlier post by David Blei,

https://lists.cs.princeton.edu/pipermail/topic-models/2006-October/000031.html

quote:
what are the possible paths that can be drawn?  first, there is one
for each existing leaf in the tree.  then, there is a new one for
each level---a new branch can be spawned at any level from the second
down.  in total, this is the number of nodes in the currently
populated tree.  for a particular path c, when one of the levels is a
new restaurant, the quantity (C) above is 0.

I want to ask regarding this sentence "a new branch can be spawned at
any level from the second down"

May I know why is it second down and not first down?
That means we can start spawning new nodes off the root node.

-Jake