[Topic-models] [Etsy Data Science Interns -- 2017 Summer] Machine Learning and Data Science Intern Program

Hong, Liangjie hongliangjie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 21:12:44 EDT 2016

*DATA SCIENCE INTERN JOB DESCRIPTION*

Apply here: https://www.etsy.com/careers/job/oIh83fwU

==============================
*Brief Description*

Etsy is looking for Data Science Interns to join our Data Science team in
Brooklyn, New York.

==============================
*Description*

Etsy is looking for Data Science Interns to join our Data Science team in
Brooklyn, New York. We are committed to advancing the fields around
E-commerce by building technologies to help understand our customers and
the world. We are seeking individuals passionate in areas such as Machine
Learning, Data Mining, Recommender Systems, Information Retrieval, Natural
Language Processing, Computational Advertising, Deep Learning and Computer
Vision. Our interns have an opportunity to make core algorithmic advances
and apply their ideas in the dynamic world of E-commerce. Interns could
publish their innovations at top tier conferences such as KDD, NIPS, ICML,
ICLR, CVPR, ICCV, WWW, WSDM, SIGIR and etc. This position would be based in
Brooklyn, New York.

==============================
*What We’re Working On*

   - Recommendation and Personalization
   - Natural Language Processing and Query Understanding
   - Image Processing and Understanding
   - Text Understanding
   - Ranking for Search and Ads
   - Fraud and Abuse Detection
   - Large-scale Machine Learning

==============================
*Who You Are*

   - You share our values (below) and are looking for a company that has a
   solid mission.
   - You have strong analytical and quantitative skills. You are familiar
   with techniques in Machine Learning, Data Mining, Recommender Systems,
   Information Retrieval, Natural Language Processing, Computational
   Advertising, Deep Learning and Computer Vision or related fields.
   - You are currently enrolled in a full-time Ph.D degree program in
   Machine Learning, Data Mining, Recommender Systems, Information Retrieval,
   Natural Language Processing, Computational Advertising, Deep Learning and
   Computer Vision or related fields, and returning to the program after the
   completion of the internship.
   - You have strong technical and programming skills. You are familiar
   with relevant technologies and languages (e.g. Python, Java, C++ and etc.).
   You have experience in or desire to learn Hadoop/Spark related Big Data
   technologies.
   - You have demonstrated the capability to review and write technical
   papers.
   - You need to contribute research that can be applied to Etsy product
   development.
   - You have the ability to quickly prototype ideas and can solve complex
   problems by adapting creative approaches.
   - You are a strong collaborator and communicator and you make the
   engineers around you grow and learn.

==============================
*What we care about*

   - Curiosity and humility.  We are dedicated to learning and constantly
   improving.  We hope you also value things like blameless postmortems and
   have a natural drive to figure out how everything works.
   - Keeping it real.  Etsy’s mission and values are a part of everything
   we do.  We care about how our work affects real people in the community and
   enjoy opportunities to meet them.  We are motivated by this mission every
   day.

==============================
*What's Next*

If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover
letter along with your CV/Resume telling us why you'd be right for the
position. As you’ve probably guessed, Etsy is a place that values
individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else, we
don’t even want you to be like us—we want you to be like you! So write to
us, in your own human voice, and tell us what you’re all about.

Feel free to point us to your latest publication and any other online
presence you may have including Github, Weblogs and others.

--
Hong, Liangjie
Head of Data Science at Etsy

hongliangjie at gmail.com