[Topic-models] On author topic model

Eric Kang erickangnz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 20:20:15 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the author-topic model. Is my understanding correct that the author-topic probabilities are "constant" across different documents? So if the same author writes multiple documents, the implied document-topic proportions would be the same between those documents?

I thought perhaps another model might be to suppose that author-topic probabilities are a multinomial random variable (with a Dirichlet prior) that is sampled per document. In other words, each author is associated with author-specific Dirichlet distribution over topics, and for a particular document, a topic mixture is sampled from that Dirichlet distribution. And the inference problem would be to determine the topic-word probabilities, and the Dirichlet parameters for each author.

Does this make sense? Is there existing work of this kind in the literature? Would this be interesting? Useful? Tractable?

Any suggestions or guidance would be really appreciated.

Thank you,
Eric